Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Working On My 2023 Temperature Quilt

 


This past week I have been diligently working on my 2023 Temperature Quilt. I absolutely love the way it is coming together. I love the fabric and I love the triangle. This is my favorite Temperature Quilt I have done so far.

It all began with the design. Of course, each year I look at a ton of Temperature Quilts online. Then the tuff decision of what to do with mine. I loved the circle and did that two years in a row.



 I have a triangle quilt that I absolutely love and thought maybe my Temperature Quilt should be triangles. I made this triangle quilt when following along with the improv triangle sewalong with Nicholas Ball on Instagram.





So, I sketched out the triangles, did some figuring and decided what size the blocks would be. The triangles are an equilateral triangle; 60-degree angles. My drawing is not an accurate 60 degrees. I used this Creative Grids Kites Plus Ruler, because my other 60-degree triangle ruler is a large 12” triangle. The blocks are a finished 4” x 2.5” There will be 14 blocks (2 weeks) across, and 27 blocks down. This finished quilt will be 56” x 67.5”. That is a nice throw size.


Then, probably even more difficult than design was choosing the fabric. Don’t get me wrong, I love choosing fabric, but it does take a lot of thought, and I also had the help of my daughter. I decided that the entire quilt would be Art Gallery Solids. I have the entire line of color swatches that I purchased from Woven and Woolly. Having these swatches makes choosing fabric so much fun.



Each fabric represents a five-degree range. The triangle is the high temperature for the day and the background is the low for the day.


The triangles were cut using the 60-degree ruler. The backgrounds were cut in half using the same ruler. The fact that I used a solid fabric that is the same on the front and the back made this a lot easier. I could just flip the other side of the rectangle instead of having to cut a mirror image.





After the triangle blocks were pieced, I trimmed them to 3” x 4.5”.



To indicate the beginning of each month I put a little white triangle in the upper left corner.




Once all the blocks are labeled on the back and in order in bags labeled by month the piecing is quite easy.



I have 48 weeks pieced together so far. I am hoping it will not take me long to finish this quilt, but I do have other things I should be working on right now.

 

Blessings,

Candy

 

No comments: