Monday, April 17, 2017

Fearless Quilting in Wonderland

Katie Fowler came to Bayside Quilters on the Eastern Shore of Maryland from Denver Colorado. Laura, one of our members saw Katie on The Quilt Show in May of last year. Laura was very excited and the same day the show first aired she contacted me about getting Katie to Bayside.

Well, almost a year later Katie made it to Maryland, and it was worth the wait!

After Katie's lecture on Wednesday I could not tell you how many people came up to me and expressed how much they enjoyed it. Katie's lecture was funny, informative, and inspirational. Katie may be an art quilter but her lecture was appealing to everyone.  I was impressed by the number of traditional quilters that told me how much they liked it. 

Everyone that took her class received a copy of Katie's book, An Artist's Journey through WonderlandJourney through Wonderland and discover how to overcome creativity crushers like procrastination, perfectionism and resistance. Learn about acceptance from the Caterpillar, creative chaos from the Mad Hatter and courage from Alice. In Wonderland find useful quotes to inspire and motivate you to be your most creative self. Grow and bloom with lighthearted lessons from Alice's adventures.

In the 1-1/2 day class Katie taught us many ways to mark and color on fabric. We used pencils, pens, markers and paints. Katie strived to get us out of our box and be creative. One of the most important things she tried to get across to us is that there are no rules and DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY!

We came away from this class so excited and inspired that we are planning on starting a bee so we can work together on this type of project on a monthly basis. 

After the class most of the ladies told me that THIS WAS THE BEST CLASS THEY HAVE EVER TAKEN! 

Once we were done painting Katie encouraged us to cut it up, mix it up, and put it back together to make a quilted wall hanging. 

This is my painting and then cut up. 

This is piece belongs to Alice.

 This belongs to Ann B. 

This belongs to Carol C.

This is Cindy's piece.

I am not sure but I think this one belongs to Sharon P.

This belongs to Judy.

Laura did not cut hers up. 

This belongs to Margaret R. 

This is Sandy's piece.

This is Sharon M's.

This is Suze's piece. 

This piece belongs to Sylvia.

 Barbara G. did not cut hers up.

I do not know who this one belongs to. A few of the students worked on a second piece and I think this was someone's second piece. 

I am not sure who this belongs to either. 

I think these two belongs to Victoria and she chose not to cut them up.

Anne J. did not cut hers up.

This one belongs to Jeanne.

 This one belongs to Ruth.

This is the piece that Katie demoed on for the class.

Katie also demoed her method of lettering. 

Did I mention that Katie is my new best friend!

Click HERE to learn more about Katie Fowler. 

Monday, October 17, 2016

Modern Fusion

 The Delaware Modern Quilt Guild came to the Eastern Shore Modern Quilters for an afternoon of Fun, Fellowship, and Food. We began the afternoon with lunch. Then we went around the room and introduced ourselves. We were to describe ourselves with one of the three Cs: Cartoon Character, Car, or Cuisine. It was so fun to hear what some of the girls had to say about themselves.

After the introductions we had Show-n-Tell. There was so much Show-n-Tell that I have posted those pictures last. I am sorry to say that I did not get pictures of everything.

Following Show-n-Tell the Delaware Guild presented us with a challenge. It is the "One Yard Fabric Exchange and Challenge." You can learn more about that HERE. Anyway, first we had the exchange. We each brought a yard of solid fabric and did the “Fold It – Snip It – Rip It – Drop It – Pass It”. 

When the Eastern Shore Guild was done with the Swap, the Delaware Guild showed us their challenge pieces from the same Exchange and Challenge.

The two pictures here are the results of their One Yard Challenge. 
They are amazing.

Then the Delaware Girls showed us another challenge they had done. 

It was to use pieced letters.

Again, what they came up with was absolutely amazing!

Most of the following pictures are Show-n-Tell. 
We have many very talented ladies in these two guilds!

The Delaware Guild does a lot of Challenges. Their next one is to do a Self Portrait. Rhonda is holding up an example of a good self portrait of her

We ended the afternoon with our Journal Exchange. 

We all had so much fun we decided to do this again. We are planning to go visit the Delaware Guild in April and we will reveal  our "One Yard Challenge."