Tuesday, February 9, 2010

February Finish

My daughter was home again today because of the snow. She had a friend over so she was entertained and I had plenty of time to quilt. On Friday I had a lot of trouble with thread breakage, and I didn't have much luck solving the problem. I was frustrated and did not know what to do today. I was apprehensive about working on a customer quilt so I decided to quilt my UFO top for February. Surprisingly I had no problems. As far as I can tell, the only difference was the fabric.

Anyway, I am so glad to finally have this done. (I still need to bind)  I started this top in the Spring of 2002 when the Baltimore Album Bee was first formed in my guild. It is the first hand appliqued  project I ever started and the first one I ever completed. This is a pattern from a Mimi Dietrich book. This was truly a learning experience for me. I tried so many different ways of hand appliqueing. I really tried to like hand-turned because the hand applique police say that is the right way to do it, but I did not like that method. I believe I have settled on the freezer paper method. But my real preference is machine applique. Hand work just takes too long.

I now have many hand applique projects started.  My taste in fabric has changed a lot since I started this.


Peggy said...

It is absolutely gorgeous - so hard to believe this is your first applique project. I also have no patience for hand sewing - that's why they make good sewing machines! Thanks for sharing.

Karen said...

It's beautiful! I particularly like the colour you chose for the border hearts.