Friday, August 12, 2011

Abstracting From Nature with Jane Sassaman


I just spent 2 1/2 days with Jane Sassaman and 18 other wonderful ladies. Almost 3 years ago the incoming program chairs (Janie and Elaine) sent out a questionnaire. One of the questions was what speaker/teacher would you like to see come to Bayside Quilters. I thought here is my chance. I am going to shoot for the moon. I wrote down Jane Sassaman never ever thinking there would be a chance of her coming here. I could not believe it when I found out she was coming. My family had to schedule vacation so I would be home for this.

I was not disappointed! Jane is a great artist and an excellent teacher. Everyone in the class wishes we could have had more time with her. I am so excited about using her method of design and applique.


 The flower I chose to design from is a gaillardia.

This was my first attempt. When I laid it out I did not like it. First of all it was too small. I also did not like the shape of the petals.

I got up early this morning and started over before class. I am liking this much better. I am still not sure about the leaves.

Here are just a few of the quilts Jane brought along that are made out of her fabrics.


Tomorrow I will post pictures of the projects from everyone in the class.

No comments: