On Wednesday I hosted the Art Bee at my house. I chose to demo the technique of Altered Photo Artistry by Beth Wheeler. First we watched the episode of The Quilt Show featuring Beth Wheeler. This is the technique I used to make my challenge quilt for Bayside last week. There were questions and some good discussion as we viewed the video.
We opened Photo Shop Elements and discussed using filters to alter a photo. This is the photo I used for the challenge quilt. Even though I like the photo with this filter I decided not to use it because of how dark it was.
This is a picture of my challenge quilt, "Bare Feet at the Beach," finished.
I quilted this on my domestic machine. It has been years since I have done that. I got my longarm in 2004. It was really quite relaxing doing the tiny freehand stitching.
I used "firm" Pellon instead of batting so it would be very stiff and easy to hang.
The back really shows the quilting.
For some time now I have been wanting to make a quilt featuring a Gaillardia, maybe even doing a series of quilts. Several years ago I took many pictures of the ones I have in my garden. So, while the Art Bee was here I worked on one in Photo Shop Elements to demonstrate how you would go about manipulating the photo. I even printed one on 4 sheets of paper to show them how to do that.
Since I had gone that far actually working on a gaillardia I decided to continue. I played more in Photo Shop Elements with the filters, hue, temperature, and saturation. I think I have the photo where I want it for this quilt. I am going to make it 9 sheets, so it will end up about 24 inches square.
I printed out the center sheet. This is what the center of my quilt is going to look like.
This is the actual image I will use for my quilt.
I am so glad I hosted the Art Bee this month and demoed this technique. It got me to work on a quilt that I have been wanting to do but had put on the back burner.