Sunday, October 12, 2014

Jimmy


"Jimmy" is a pattern that I designed this summer. 
With being located on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, anything crab is very popular.
The method of making this crab is extremely easy. 
It is also very easy choosing the fabric for this quilt. 
I simply takes a Charm Pack, background fabric, and binding. 
We have Charm packs in Blue, for a live crab, and Charms in Red or Orange for a steamed crab.


  • I simply traced my pattern onto freezer paper 
  • Cut out the freezer paper pattern
  • Iron the freezer paper to the front of my background fabric
  • Trace around it with something that comes off easily (I used a Frixion Pen)
  • Stitch on the line with a decorative stitch in a contrasting thread color.



  • Cut your charm squares into varying size squares and rectangles.
  • Begin laying them out on the crab leaving about an 1/8 to 1/4 inch apart.
  • Around the edge of the crab trim to fit the shape. This is very easy to do because of the outline stitch. You can feel the stitching, so trace it with a pen and trim about an 1/8 to 1/4 inch from that drawn line.
  • Glue the shapes into place. You can use water soluble glue stick or Elmer's School Glue.



  • Sew each shape in place about 1/4 inch from edge, The edges will fray slightly when washed.
  • Layer together with the batting and backing and quilt.







 I put the extra charms from my Blue Charm Pack on the back of the quilt.


This is a steamed crab made using an Orange Charm Pack.



No comments: