Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Other UFO #6


I was sitting in the car for about 6 hours today. We went to PA to visit my Mother-in-law. That gave me the perfect time to work on my other #6 UFO. I do not do a lot of hand work but this is a block I started in my Baltimore Album Bee last year. I finished all of the hand applique today.


The main idea behind this block was to do dimensional applique and other things I have not done before like stuffing the stems and embellishing with embroidery. One of the reasons I had put off finishing this block is that I did not know what flower I wanted to put where I decided to put this yellow one. I had an idea what I wanted but I did not know how to do it. Luckily a few weeks back I found a tutorial on a blog for this one. It was exactly what I was looking for and I love it.


On the way home after I finished the applique I wanted to work on the design layout. I found a piece of paper in my purse to scribble on.


I am not really sure what I will do with this. I am thinking a small wall hanging would be good so a square layout would work. I will probably use Ricky Tim's fast flying geese to go along with the dimensional applique.





 When I make a medallion quilt I have a tendency to place the center block on point. I like this look but the quilt will get large quickly and I usually do not like to repeat what I have already done.


 This is the fabric that was my inspiration for my block. It is a Jane Sassaman. I absolutely love her fabrics.


I will use this fabric on one of the borders.




This top is another one of my UFOs. You can see it looks very much like one of my sketches. I really want the one I am working on to  be different but I do like this.

1 comment:

Dresden Quilter said...

Your work is amazing! I love the dimensional applique.