Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Shell Collage Quilt

 This Shell Collage Quilt is one of my entries in the show,A Garden of Quilts , put on by Bayside Quilters of the Eastern Shore, in Oxford Maryland this coming weekend. 


The making of the shell quilt was a collaboration with my daughter Faith. Faith did most of the work on the shell and I did the background and finished it. This was started in January 2016 in a Bayside Class taught by Bayside member Laura Boehl. I chose the shell because I wanted something I could hang  in my own home. Of course Faith and I are fighting over who gets to keep it.


It all started with a picture of a shell. 




Faith was off of school for Winter Break, so we decided to do the class together. 


Faith actually did all of the shell work.
 She told me where to put the fabric and I glued it on. 



By the end of the day and a half class the shell was complete. 






Faith went back to school and I had to do the shadow and background all by myself. 



I finished the fabric collage in a timely manner and the quilt sat around for about 9 or 10 months waiting to be quilted.



Of course I quilted it on the longarm. 

This quilt is truly a work of art so I mounted it over a canvas. 


Even though I really can't take credit for this,
 it is my favorite piece I have ever worked on!

To see this piece in person, come out to the show in Oxford this weekend.